An American in France

The life of a family newly transfered to France and who have decided to build a new home and share their experiences.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Hello Again,

For those of you checking, I have not posted in quite some time. This is due to a couple of factors including a new position with my company, Motorola and a 2 week vacation with the family in Spain and Portugal. The former has caused my life to be a whole lot busier and the latter, well, other than an occasional look at my PDA, I literally disconnected from the world. No TV, no newspapers, no cellphones and the result was 2 weeks of absolute relaxation. At least as relaxing as traveling with two young boys can be anyway!


We flew down to Malaga and from there drove to a town called Benahavis along the Costa del Sol. My boss just purchased a beautiful apartment in a lovely complex that had several pools, a sauna/steam room and exercise machines and beautiful golf courses for those of you who enjoy that sort of thing. It was awesome and in a great area only minutes from Marbella and some great coastline. He rents it out via a management service by the week and I highly recommend it. I've included the website where my links are should anyone be interested.






After the week in Spain, we drove to the Algarve Coast of Portugal and stayed a week in Albufiera. Algarve is the Southern Region of Portugal on the Atlantic. I was really impressed with Portugal. The coast is stunning and very different from Spain despite only being a few hours away from where we were.







We took the time to visit most of the Western coast and went all the way to Sagres which is on the tip of the Southwestern Coast, It is known for its sunsets and as you can see, we were not disappointed! The kids were fascinated by the Sun "going to sleep".








We also took a boat ride on the Leaozinho which enabled us to see the coast from the ocean and its many caves and formations. This also allowed us to spot a couple of "hidden" beaches one of which we fell in love with called Marinha Beach. The only inconvenience was having to climb up and down a lot of stairs and Samuel, our youngest has a couple of meltdowns in the face of having to climb the stairs after a day at the beach. We managed by having him count the steps (98 to be exact)!

The people of Portugal were very kind and the food was excellent with naturally lots of fish and mostly grilled. We enjoyed the whole experience so much, we would gladly go back despite our general preference to not revisit the same place twice.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nice way to enjoy life!

7:09 PM  
Blogger blueVicar said...

Great photos!

Meilleurs vœux!

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, fellow Zuyderhoff! Lovely site make me/us want to travel to Portugal and France. Four Z-hoffen that grew up in Montreal (parents from Holland in the 50's) Just googled our name to see what the 'clan' is up to. Only know of one other in San Francisco. Your photos are lovely and great family.
How is the house design moving along? Wonderful book by group of archetects
(Alexander Christopher) called A Pattern Language wonderful concepts about 'human use' of space. Happy building! Anyway keep up the great site. Olga

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo fucké!
Ici regroupement de la cellule MRI reconstituée à Québec (M. Paquet, N. Fortin#2, C. Pelletier-Hardy, M-N. Saint-Pierre, S. Jobert). On se demandait ce que tu devenais et google nous a rapidement donné la réponse. Envoie-nous ton adresse courriel.
On a relaté quelques souvenirs, dont notre fameux télescopage cranien suite à l'envolée de Sol dans nos bras.
Nous portons un toast avec DU l'eau et aussi de la bière et autres.
Vos enfants sont superbes. Tu sembles avoir pris quelques kilos gräce au fromage et aux charcuteries. Vive la France! Ça te va bien!
En espérant que tu lises tes commentaires de temps à autres.
Joyeux Noël et bonne année
M, N, C, M-N et S

4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi.

I have a French property blog, so I've just been scanning other French blogs when your photos caught my eye. The sunset is truely magnificant, but I like the one of the sunset off the cliff even better. Excellent. As I haven't seen the sun for two weeks (I'm in the Jura), it makes me want to pack up and go now.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Diane Williamson said...

Hi Anthony, Helene and the boys!

Anthony, remember me? Pairgain?Glad to see pictures of you and the family! Not surprised to find you have moved to France. I am delighted for you and know it will be one of many great adventures in your life. I knew you had gone to Motorola which was a great move. I am still here in Costa Mesa, golfing, traveling (just went to Paris for my 50th birthday) and enjoying life. I would love to keep in touch but know you are very busy. If you get a chance, please drop me a line at my e-mail address fdwilliamson@aol.com and I will respond back. Take care,
Diane Williamson

7:42 AM  
Blogger christineD said...

salut helene et Anthony.
je suis contente de vous trouver sur internet.Les photos sont super sympa.
je vous souhaite une bonne année 2008.
j'espère vous revoir bientôt à Brest.
Christine

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home