An American in France

The life of a family newly transfered to France and who have decided to build a new home and share their experiences.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Tour de France
...don't blink!




I saw my first live Tour de France today as they passed through the town where we live. I was alone as the family is with my inlaws in Brittany enjoying the scorching weather we have been having. Given this was my first time, I decided to get there early to stake out a good viewing spot. I also read that they were due to pass through town at about 1:30 PM. Well I miscalculated just a bit...I wound up waiting about 3 hours for a total of (and I kid you not) 30 seconds of seeing the cyclists pass! Given today is the last day, all the riders were grouped pretty much together. Well, they pass super fast and between trying to snap a few pictures and taking a short video with my cell phone, I hardly saw anything!
That being said, it was an interesting experience. There were tons of people many who arrived well before me and sort of camped out bringing picnics and yes, lots of baguette, pate and wine! It was a glorious day and some of the best action was a couple of hours before the riders arrived when all of the sponsors zoom by throwing various goodies to the crowds. We're not talking diamonds here people but my God...it was a frenzy! Throwing themselves on these things like it was priceless gold bullion! I managed to grab a couple of things as people zoomed by in makeshift floats almost like a parade but one that goes like 90km an hour! All in all, a good day made all the better by Floyd Landis winning the tour. I've included a few pictures to commemorate the day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home